Frequently Asked Questions
- Things people ask us, frequently.
What is the WXO?
- The World Experience Organization is the global organization for experience designers, creators, makers, investors, promoters - all firms and people who love, make, make money from, believe in the power of experiences to create happier humans, a better society on a healthy planet.
Why does the WXO exist?
- The WXO is a passion project.
- The moonshot is to transform quality of life.
- Just as materialism and the Consumer Revolution transformed standards of living, so we believe experientialism and the Experience Revolution will transform quality of life.
- By connecting experience creators around the world and across sectors, we hope to be a catalyst in this revolution.
Who is in the WXO?
- We're growing fast, it's hard to keep up. Now, 15 months after opening for members to join, there are now more than 450 members in 30 countries.
- Our members include firms and people from Shanghai to Santa Fe, eg, Joe Pine, Meow Wolf, Secret Cinema, Swamp Motel, BRC Imagination Arts, Thinkwell, Electrosonic, Deloitte.
where are the WXO Campfires?
- To make it easy for people in different places to connect, learn, and share with each other, we hold the WXO Campfires on Zoom.
Are there really 2 Campfires with the Same title?
- Yes, sometimes.
- Because our members are in based in Shanghai, Los Angeles, and 28 countries in between, we often hold 2 Campfires per day with the same topic to bring the ideas, tools, techniques to as many of our experience design community as we can.
Do you Host real world campfires?
- Yes, we've hosted two real world Campfires so far. At CXSF (Creative Experience Santa Fe) in Santa Fe, New Mexico; and at the 7X Experience Summit in Provo, Utah.
- We're open to running them at conferences, company off-sites, festivals - to highlight the importance and impact of good experience design.
Can i watch the campfire recording later?
- Go to WXO TV page.
- A few recordings are available to sample. You need to be a member to view them all.
When Are The Campfires?
- Campfires are usually on Wednesdays.
- The 'early' one starts 9.55am UK... which tends to be 10.55am in Europe.
- The 'late' one starts 17.55 UK... which tends to be 18.55 in Europe, 12.55 on the East Coast, and 9.55am on Pacific Time.
- Members are invited to the Campfire Calendar so that these auto-populate in your calendar.
- We're still experimenting (always, right?) so times and days are liable to change.
Do people get up early / stay up late to come?
- Yes. We have people who stay up till 1am, get up at 2am, 4am, and 5am in order to attend the Campfires.
- For instance, Mike in Jakarta, Nicholas in Austin are some of those who get up super early or stay up very late to attend Campfires.
Why do you charge a fee to be a WXO Member?
- The WXO takes considerable time and effort to run.
- It's takes a lot of time and care to research and curate the content and the speakers that we think will make a difference in the lives and work of people creating, staging, operating, promoting experiences across the experience sector.
- Our team includes an editor, visual editor, writers, developers, designers, and member support staff.
how do I know if the WXO is for me / my company?
- Do you create, stage, operate, promote, support experiences?
- If the answer is 'yes' - if your work is in the 'experience ecosystem' - we'd love to hear from you.
- If the answer is 'no', but you'd like to, you can still apply. You might be asked to join our track for Emerging Talent and Students (which is a highly motivated group).
- By joining, you will make fantastic connections, you will understand the experience ecosystem better, and you'll learn tools and techniques to make better experiences.
Why is the application form so long??
- May we suggest that another word for 'long' is 'thorough'?
- Would you rather we let just anyone in??
- We ask a lot of questions because our responsibility is not only to grow the WXO but ensure that our members represent the finest available talent in the experience ecosystem today.
- By asking lots of questions, the WXO Application Committee can be more confident of maintaining the quality of the conversation and connections you'll make in the WXO Campfires.
- Ready to fill in the form? Click here.
can I come to a Campfire before joining?
- The first question about whether to join is about you. Our focus is on building a community of people who want to connect, learn, share in order to design, create better experiences. You'll know if this is you or not.
- The second question is about what the Campfires and the community are like.
- If you're thinking of joining but aren't sure, just as you would with restaurant, read the reviews, ask others what they think, and try a sample.
- Check out what others say, via www.worldxo.org/what-experience-experts-say/
- Sample the sort of content by watching a Campfire recording, via www.worldxo.org/tv
What Expectations do you have of Members?
- We recognize that life and work is busy.
- Our members tend to dial up and dial down their involvement, depending on their schedules.
- Minimum expectation is really simple: that you'll come to some Campfires, that you'll learn, share, and grow.
- But there's opportunity to get as involved as your schedule allows: Share your thoughts and experience in Campfire. Disagree with someone in Campfire (we love disagreeing! It's fun and it helps us evolve what we think). Give a Campfire talk. Share a case study on the site. Collaborate with other members on a project: co-create, hire, or be hired (as many of our members have done, across borders and experience sectors). Join the Women In Experience Committee, the ROX Committee, the Certification/Classification Committee (or create your own committee). Co-create the WXO Experience Summit.